Trying to stick to my trend of posting author interviews 😉
This week I am featuring a fabulous lady: Nazarea Andrews.
I don’t know Nazarea personally. I have read some of her books and we are now friends on Facebook, so I have that social connection to her. However I still feel like a creepy stalker when liking her posts. I can tell you that she loves Zombies and Supernatural.
Anyway, here is my interview with Nazarea:
How would you describe your writing process?
- Constant and chaotic. I write constantly—I’m like one of those sharks that can’t stop swimming. I have to keep writing. It keeps me sane. When I’m drafting a book, I write between 2000-5000 words a day. When I’m not, I generally get my characters in trouble and try to marry them off. That’s a process, right?
Do you have any strange writing habits?
- I don’t. If anything, that’s strange. I can write anywhere, anytime—in my daughter’s pickup line, during a movie, in bed, at a wedding—literally anywhere.
What authors inspired you to write (if any)?
- Juliet Marillier, David Eddings, Anne McCaffery. Anne Bishop. CS Lewis. A lot of the authors whose stories I grew up reading and whose stories were an escape for me were why I wanted to write stories for other people to escape into.
How do you choose character names?
- Depends on the character. Usually it has something to do with the story.
- The Black Jewels Trilogy, The Sevenwaters series. Easy, Newsflesh Trilogy, Harry Potter series, Kushiel Saga.
- David Eddings, Mira Grant, Juliet Marrilier, Beth Rivas, Cora Carmack
What book do you wish that you had written?
- Heather Lyons THE COLLECTORS SOCIETY and Pierce Brown’s RED RISING.
What do you consider to be your best accomplishment? (This can be anything, doesn’t necessarily have to be writing related)
- Raising my three daughters and liking myself as a person and artist.
Have you always wanted to write?
- Since I was six.
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Write. Ignore the market, ignore anything that says you can’t do it and write. Write every day. And don’t be afraid of rejection—it’s part of the business. Writing is hard—unbelievably hard. But it is so worth it.
If you could pick one other job, besides writing books and what you currently do besides writing books, what would that be?
- I wouldn’t. When I was a little girl, I dreamt about writing and telling people about fantastic books to read. And that’s what I get to do, writing and working in literary PR at InkSlingerPR. It’s my dream job.
Is there one subject that you would never write about?
- There are a few I haven’t written about yet. That scare me. But I won’t rule anything out definitively.
What do you have going on right now? What can we expect next from you?
- I just talked out several projects with my publicist and I’m so excited about them. Next up is Stardust Destiny, a modern erotic retelling of Helen of Troy—it comes out Feb 9th. And then I go back to my zombie world in a spin off novel, Personal Apocalypse.
Do you listen to music when you write? If so, tell me 3-5 songs on your playlist.
- I do!! A couple songs are:
- Heart Wants What It Wants by Selena Gomez
- Daylight by Maroon 5
- Fight Song by Rachel Platten
- Lips of an Angel by Hinder
(15) Do you or have you incorporate(d) real life experiences into your books?
- On very very rare occasions.
(1) Have you ever been in a bar fight?
- *snort* no. I’d get my ass kicked.
(2) A lot of times, characters in book find themselves in hard to get out of situations. When was the last time you found yourself in one of those and what did you do?
- Oh man. I plead the fifth.
(3) What is your biggest fear?
- Cockroaches. I have a unreasonable phobia of them.
(4) What do you want written on your tombstone?
- She lived bravely and loved wild. And her kids liked her.
(5) Do you have any secret talents?
- I used to be on a synchronized swim team. So. I suppose my secret talent is swimming in time with other chicks.
(6) What is one place you have never been, but would love to go?
- Oh man. So many place. Ireland, Spain, England, and Australia to name a few.
(7) If you were a superhero, what would your name be? And your power?
- Time Girl. And it would be stopping time.
(8) If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
- A Siberian tiger. They’re so pretty and they’re kinda badass.
(9) What is one thing you would like to accomplish before you die?
- Visiting all the continents. Except Antarctica—cuz I don’t like the cold.
(10) If you could have an accent from anywhere in the world, what accent would you choose?
(11) Do you have any tattoos? How many?
- I do!! Twelve.
(12) Do you have any scars? From what?
- One, from a burn when I was twelve—I leaned against a hot motorcycle.
(13) What was your favorite toy as a child?
- My bike.
(14) What is your favorite food and drink?
- Steak. Or chips and salsa. And vodka cranberry or margarita.
(15) If you could be the opposite sex for a day, would you?
- Maybe. I don’t know—maybe?
Super fun interview! Thank you so much Nazarea!
Connect with Nazarea: